Not sure what the next step on your path is? Let our staff help you along the way.
Here are some useful resources
What is a Learner Mentor?
A Learner Mentor is assigned to each student at Richard Bland College. Learner Mentors:
- Are a point of contact throughout your time at RBC
- Are someone to go to with your questions and needs
- Help you develop an individualized academic plan
- Help you explore majors and careers
- Connect you to tutors and provide you with strategies to be successful in your class
- Richard Bland College Learner Mentor video
Who is my Learner Mentor?
To find out who your Learner Mentor is login to Banner. Click on Student > Student Records > View Student Information. You’ll see your Learner Mentor listed, and you can find their contact information here
When do I need to meet with my Learner Mentor?
Typically you will meet with your Learner Mentor at the beginning of every semester, you will also want to check in with them throughout the semester, or whenever you have questions, concerns, need help with study habits… the list goes on and on! Your Learner Mentor is your resource for success. Use their knowledge! They’re there just for you!
Meet with your Learner Mentor
- Whenever you encounter problems that affect your academic performance
- When it is time to schedule classes (Be sure to register as early as possible!)
- To discuss academic progress
- To explore transfer school
- To explore majors/careers
- To withdraw from a course
- To learn more about campus resources
Preparing to meet with your Learner Mentor
- Prepare of list of questions/concerns that you have for your Learner Mentor
- Think about your goals and how Richard Bland College can help you achieve them
- If you are meeting about course registration/scheduling: prepare a list of possible courses
- Arrive on time
- Be prepared to discuss details of your academic performance
- Bring your planner or calendar to jot notes for future appointments
- Bring an open mind and readiness to accept new information or new ways of seeing things
Key Dates and Deadlines
- August 15 – Fall classes begin
- August 19 – Last day of add/drop period
- October 20 – Registration begins for Spring classes
- December 5 – Last day of classes
- December 6-9 – Final Exams
How do I schedule an appointment with my Learner Mentor?
To schedule an appointment with your Learner Mentor you can use the calendar feature on canvas.
Step 1: Log into canvas
Step 2: Click the calendar on the left hand toolbar
Step 3: Click “scheduler” on the top right of the screen
Step 4: Click on your Learner Mentor’s Appointment Group
Step 5: Select the day/time of your desired appointment
Step 6: Hit reserve
Write down your appointment or save it in your phone as a reminder.
What if I don’t have a major?
Below are several resources to help you begin the major exploration process
Learn How to Become Learn How to Become is an online career site to assist you in educational and career exploration. It will help you to think about what motivates you, your work-related values, interests, personality and skills to find possible educational and career paths My Majors This assessment will recommend the top majors, colleges and careers based on your academic achievements, interests and personality. Time to take: 15 minutes Holland Code Career Test Discover the best jobs for you with this free test that identifies your strongest career interest among six occupational themes: Realistic, Investigative, Artistic, Social, Enterprising, and Conventional. You’ll discover your top interest area and what that means for you, along with a list of suggested careers based on your interests. Time to take: 20 minutes 16 Personalities Take this personality test to find out more about who you are and why you do the things you do. The more you know about yourself the easier it is to apply to future careers. Time to take: Less than 12 minutes
What can I do with a major in…?
Follow the link below to explore how you can connect a major to a career:
Ready to Create Your Journey?
Deciding where to go to college is a big step, and we're here to help you every step of the way. Connect with us to find out more about Richard Bland College.