Direct Subsidized and Direct Unsubsidized Stafford loans are available to eligible U.S. citizens and permanent residents enrolled in an eligible degree program on at least a half-time basis.
Direct Loan Application Instructions for Richard Bland College
- Submit the Direct Loan Increase Request Form to the Office of Financial Aid. Please allow up to two business days for the offer to be made in Banner Self Service. Submitting the Direct Loan Request Form will be your active acceptance of the Direct Loan. Please put the amount you want to increase the loan amount by. Be sure to view your loans in Banner Self Service after you submit the request. (This is for students who have reduced or declined on banner self service their original award and want to increase it)
- You must have completed Entrance Counseling at studentloans.gov . Log In using your FSA ID and Password. *Requirement for all first time borrowers (a borrower who has not borrowed a Direct Loan previously).
- You must have completed the Master Promissory Note (MPN) for Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan. Log in using your FSA ID and Password. *Requirement for all first time borrowers.
**Disbursement cannot occur until student fulfills all federal requirements for the Direct Loan**
Parent Plus Loan Application Instructions for Richard Bland College
- Complete a FAFSA at fafsa.ed.gov
- The following six steps must be fully completed;
- The Parent must go to studentloans.gov and Log in with the parent FSA ID and Password.
- Apply for a PLUS Loan. (on the application you will indicate the amount you want to borrower or you can put the maximum allowed by school)
- Complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN), select PLUS MPN for Parents.
- Complete Plus Loan Counseling.
- The Parent must Submit the Parent PLUS Loan Request Form to the Office of Financial Aid. Please allow up to two business days for the offer to be made in Banner Self Service. Submitting the Parent PLUS Loan Request Form will be your active acceptance of the PLUS Loan. The student should be sure to view the loan in Banner Self Service after you submit the request.
- Complete Plus Loan Counseling.
Direct Subsidized Loan
Subsidized Loans are available to students who demonstrate eligibility for need-based financial aid. The Federal government pays the interest that accrues on the subsidized loan while the student is enrolled at least half-time. Repayment need not be made until six months after graduation, withdrawal from school, or reduction to less than half-time enrollment.
A new borrower may receive Federal Direct Subsidized loans for up to 150% of the published length of the borrower’s educational program. Should the borrower exceed this period, he or she is no longer eligible for Federal Direct Subsidized Loans. The borrower also becomes responsible for accruing interest during all periods as of the date the borrower exceeds the 150% limit. Additional information is provided by the Department of Education.
Direct Unsubsidized Loan
Unsubsidized Loans are available to students who do not demonstrate eligibility for need-based aid. The student is responsible for the interest that begins to accrue from the date of disbursement. Repayment of accrued interest and principal does not begin until six months after graduation, withdrawal from school, or reduction to less than half-time enrollment. It is recommended that, if possible, the student pays the accrued interest during enrollment.
What Student Borrowers Need to Know
- Annual loan limits vary by the student’s year in school: Freshmen: $5,500 (no more than $3,500 as a subsidized loan), Sophomores: $6,500 (no more than $4,500 as a subsidized loan), Juniors and Seniors: $7,500 (no more than $5,500 as a subsidized loan), and Independent students: an additional $4,000 unsubsidized loan may be borrowed in addition to the annual loan limits listed above.
- The loan may be subsidized, unsubsidized, or a combination of the two.
- Funds are disbursed in two separate payments sent directly to the Bursar’s Office at the College, generally at the start of each semester.
- An origination fee of 1.069% is deducted from each loan disbursement.
- The current interest rate for loans first disbursed between July 1, 2016 and June 30, 2017 is 3.76%. For interest rates of loans disbursed before this date, please view your federal loan and financial aid history at the National Student Loan Data System.
Ready to Create Your Journey?
Deciding where to go to college is a big step, and we're here to help you every step of the way. Connect with us to find out more about Richard Bland College.