As a two-year school with a mission to prepare students for university transfer we’re here to help you understand the requirements for your Associate’s degree, help you think about your future major, and decide which four-year school is right for you. You’ll also have an academic advisor to help you navigate this process.
Who is my advisor?
To find your advisor, login to Banner. Click on Student > Student Records > View Student Information. You’ll see your Primary Advisor listed, and you can find their contact information in the campus directory.
In the Library, the Office of Residence Life, and in the second floor of the Center for Student Affairs building, you’ll find a binder with complete listing of advisors. Stop by and talk to us today.
Preparing for a meeting with your advisor
To register for your classes, you’ll first have to talk to your advisor. After outlining an academic pathway that will help you reach your goals, your advisor will give you an Alternate PIN that you’ll need to register for classes. Contact your advisor to schedule a meeting to assure the best course selection.
Wondering what courses you need to complete your Associate’s degree? First, access your Degree Evaluation to view what classes you still need to meet the Associate’s degree requirements. To do this:
- Login to Banner.
Select Student > Student Records > Degree Evaluation. Accept the term shown and press Submit.
Go to the bottom of the screen and select “Generate evaluation.”
- Click the button next to your program, and make sure the term listed is the most current.
- Click Generate Request.
- Select Detail Requirements and Submit. Now you’ll be able to review your degree evaluation.
Next, print out your Pre-Registration Worksheet. You should complete this worksheet prior to meeting with your advisor.
How do I know what classes to take?
In addition to meeting with your advisor and reviewing your degree evaluation, we have several guides to help you select the correct courses every semester:
- Core Courses List
- Transfer Core Courses List (courses most likely to transfer to four-year colleges)
- Elective Course Selection Guide (courses most likely to transfer as electives to four-year colleges)
- Course Selection Guide for Associate’s of Arts
- Course Selection Guide for Associate’s of Science
- Course Selection Guide for Associate’s of Arts (with Developmental Courses)
- Course Selection Guide for Associate’s of Science (with Developmental Courses)
- Map to Transfer and Success (Associate’s of Arts)
- Map to Transfer and Success (Associate’s of Science)
If you are considering changing your plan and want to know how well the classes you have already taken will fulfill the requirements:
1. Login to Banner.
2. Select Student > Student Records > Degree Evaluation. Accept the term shown and Submit.
3. Go to the bottom of the screen and select “What-If Analysis.”
4. Select the most recent term from the drop-down menu. Select the degree from the drop-down menu.
5. Select the first major from the drop-down menu. Click Submit.
6. An analysis of your current coursework according to the requirements of that degree will appear as well as a list of what courses you would still need to take.
What if I don’t have a major? Are there resources to help me choose?
Learn How to Become is an online career site to assist you in educational and career exploration. It will help you to think about what motivates you, your work-related values, interests, personality and skills to find possible educational and career pathways.
We’re here to help you. If you have any questions about the advising program or general advising questions, please contact the Academic, Career, and Transfer (ACT) Center at (804) 863-4037 or via email: email@example.com.