Resident Assistant Position Information
What is a Resident Assistant?
A Resident Assistant (RA) is a paraprofessional member within the Office of Residence Life who serves as a mentor to 30-40 residents within an assigned residence hall. RA’s are integral members of the student life team and are asked to fill a variety of roles ranging from confident to peer adviser. RA’s engage in a number of activities to include, helping develop community, enforcing college policies, and hosting programs that will help students transfer to 4-year schools. This position is an interpersonal position that requires a high level of maturity, self-awareness, and strong communication skills. Successful candidates must exhibit certain skills to assist students in various areas to include:
- Academic Assistance
- Social Interaction
- Culture & Social Awareness
- Conflict & Multi-Personality Awareness
Resident Assistants are considered student leaders on the campus of Richard Bland College and we pride ourselves in selecting candidates who are the most capable and dynamic.
Minimum Qualifications and Eligibility for the RA position include:
- Full-time RBC student (12 credit hours)
- Completed at least one (1) academic semester at RBC
- No active judicial sanction
- Must not hold other employment on or off campus
- A cumulative GPA of 2.5
The Hiring Process
The Office of Residence Life goes through the Resident Assistant hiring process each year. The process begins early Spring semester. All students interested in becoming a RA must attend one of the mandatory information sessions in order to apply. The hiring process involves an electronic application, group and individual interview process, and training. Students selected as RA’s must commit to one week of training at the conclusion of the Spring term and one week prior to the start of the Fall term.
Applications & references due: April 7, 2017
Resident Assistant Interviews: April 11-13, 2017
Mandatory Information Sessions for RA position 2017-2018:
- Wednesday, March 1| Freedom Hall Lobby | 7pm
- Wednesday, March 1| Patriot Hall Lobby | 8pm
- Thursday, March 2| “Nerd Cave” | Noon
- Thursday, March 2| “Nerd Cave” | 4pm
- Monday, March 6 | SSHE Auditorium | 1pm
- Wednesday, March 8| SSHE Auditorium | 1pm
- Room waiver of $2,500 per semester
- Leadership training
- Problem solving & crises management training
- Travel opportunities
Office of Residence Life
Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday
8:00am – 5:00pm
Richard Bland College
Office of Residence Life
11301 Johnson Rd
South Prince George, VA 23805
Phone: (804) 862-6161
Ready to Create Your Journey?
Deciding where to go to college is a big step, and we're here to help you every step of the way. Connect with us to find out more about Richard Bland College.