Statesman Mail on Office 365 Frequently Asked Questions
Use of Richard Bland College Resources implies consent and compliance with all state, local, and campus policies and regulations.
What does the upgrade to Office 365 mean for you?
Upon registration, all Richard Bland College students are issued an official email address (firstname.lastname@example.org).
All college-based communications will be sent to the student’s official (@rbc.edu) address.
The Office 365 system includes:
- Email. We will continue to use Microsoft Outlook Web App or Microsoft Outlook to view and send email and you will sign in at the same website.
- 25GB message storage capacity. This dramatically increases student mailbox capacity from 80MB to 25GB!!
- Access to calendar entries and contacts
- Mobile access. Microsoft 365 synchronizes with your mobile lifestyle
- Simple File sharing. Microsoft 365 provides SkyDrive Pro access with 7GB of personal storage
What is my email address?
If you do not know your email address, you can look up it in Banner. Click on the “Personal Information” tab.
Do I need to upgrade software on my computer?
- If you are using Internet Explorer 6 or 7, upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer.
- If you use Outlook to read your email and you are using Microsoft Office 2003, upgrade to Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010 to continue using Outlook.
Log into Statesman Mail.
Click on SkyDrive in the Office 365 menu bar.
When you click on SkyDrive the first time, Office 365 must setup your resource. This is a one time process that may take up to an hour.
Click on Outlook in the menu bar to return to your email. You may continue to use your Richard Bland College Office 365 email, while SkyDrive is prepared.
Once your SkyDrive is ready for use, you have a place to keep your documents and other files. You may share files and folders with other members of the Richard Bland College Community on Office 365. At this time, this does not include Faculty and Staff.
Log into Statesman Mail.
Click on Newsfeed in the Office 365 menu bar.
This will open Newsfeed:
You can click on the blue follow to search for other members of the Richard Bland College Office 365 Community that you would like to follow. You can search by the name or email address.
When you find the individual, just click follow in the box.
You are now following that person.
Also in Newsfeed, click on Blog in the left column.
This opens your blog site.
Remember to blog responsibly.
How do I setup my mobile device to access Statesman Mail?
Microsoft provides a link with setup instructions for most devices.
How can I change my password in Statesman Mail?
During this first phase of deployment, students will not be able to change their passwords in Richard Bland College Office 365. We are currently working to make this feature available and will notify students when complete.
Security and Best Practices:
What precautions should I take when using Office 365 on a public computer?
You can access your RBC mailbox from any computer that has a Web browser and an Internet connection. Internet cafés, libraries, and public access terminals such as Internet kiosks offer Internet access to patrons at little or no charge. However, because the computers that provide this service are available to the public, you should take precautions to help protect your data and help ensure your privacy. We recommend that you use Outlook Web App (email) only in locations you trust.
- Make sure no one watches you type your user name and password when you sign in.
- Never select an option that lets you save your password for later use. Even if you plan to use the same computer for several days, always type your password.
- Follow the steps for signing in to Office 365
- Before you open a message, make sure it’s from someone you trust and from whom you’re expecting an e-mail message.
- Open attachments only from people you trust.
- The best method for opening an attachment when you’re using a public or shared computer is to click the Open as Web Page link that’s next to the attachment name. This protects you from potential virus attacks and prevents a copy of the attachment from being created on the computer.
- If you want to open an attachment directly instead of as a Web page, save it to a folder or a location you can easily find, such as the Desktop, and then open it from that location. Most browsers give you an option to open the file or save it to a disk when you click the attachment’s link. After you finish using the computer, delete the attachment and empty the Recycle Bin or trash.
- Never email your social security number
- Never click on pop ups
- Do not respond to or forward spam emails
- Do not open unexpected email attachments or attachments from unknown senders
- Avoid disclosing too much information in any email form
- Click on your account name in the upper right corner
- Click sign out
- Close the browser.
How can I get more information about Office 365?
For more information about Office 365, contact email@example.com.
Information and Support
- If you have questions or need help, contact the ITS Helpdesk via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 804-862-6401.