RBC-19 Strategic Plan
Richard Bland College was founded in 1960 as a division of The College of William & Mary in Virginia to provide the first two years of baccalaureate education at an affordable cost.
Richard Bland College was founded in 1960 as a division of The College of William & Mary in Virginia to provide the first two years of baccalaureate education to local citizens at an affordable cost. By 1975 the mission had expanded to include meeting the “educational and cultural demands of the citizens of the Commonwealth, other states, and foreign nations.” With the addition of residence halls in 2008, this picturesque campus located just south of Richmond, Virginia, emerged as a vibrant and diverse living-learning community.
To prepare students for university transfer through academically rigorous programs grounded in the liberal arts tradition of William & Mary and to expand access to college credentials through strategic partnerships, specialized programming, and scalable innovation.
As an extension of William & Mary, Richard Bland College is in the vanguard of learning-outcomes based liberal arts education for university transfer and a model for testing and applying outcomes-driven solutions in higher education.
- Integrity and honesty
- Student & faculty engagement
- Exploration and discovery
- Diversity and openness
- Shared responsibility for student success
The five-year strategic plan focuses on goals in three key areas: STUDENTS, PROGRAMS & DELIVERY, AND OPERATIONS & RESOURCES
Goal: To achieve an enrollment target of 2,000 students:
- Create a strategic enrollment management plan (SEM), and align enrollment-related policies, practices and services with the mission, vision, brand and SEM goals;
- Facilitate and inspire learning through proven and innovative teaching and support methodologies;
- Design and implement a research-based, comprehensive and creative first-year learning experience; and
- Improve retention, graduation and transfer rates.
#2 Programs and Delivery
Goal: To be optimally responsive to documented market demand:
- Modify existing and create new curricula to provide the right and best portfolio of academic program offerings;
- Establish a Center for Strategic Initiatives that delivers education solutions in response to market demand;
- Selectively serve as a beta site for innovative solutions in higher education instruction, academic support and management; and
- Deliver courses and programs at times, locations and in modalities that optimize resources and accommodate student schedules and preferences.
#3 Operations and Resources
Goal: To establish and maintain a high performance organization and ensure financial and environmental sustainability:
- Develop and implement financial and sustainability master plans;
- Collect, analyze, disseminate and utilize pertinent performance-related information to drive quality and continuous improvement;
- Develop and implement revenue enhancement plans; and
- Deploy all financial, physical, IT and human resources in direct support of the mission, vision and strategic goals.
Key Performance Indicators
A data dashboard will be developed to monitor progress toward the achievement of key performance indicators:
- Increase enrollment: 2,000 students / 1,500 FTES;
- Elevate brand and reputation: yield rates from 3-county/3-city area high schools and throughout the Commonwealth will improve by at least 5 percentage points;
- Expand market-driven programs and modes of delivery: add 6 new degree programs, 10 new certificates, 40 or more total guaranteed admission and articulation agreements, and deliver 100% of programs online, off-site, or other means convenient to students;
- Improve student satisfaction: students will rate their overall satisfaction with Richard Bland College at 90% or higher on CCSSE;
- Decrease overhead expenses: decrease percent of expenses related to institutional support and operations/physical plant, based upon IPEDS data, by at least 5 percentage points; and
- Increase net auxiliary resources: net auxiliary resources will increase by at least 5 percentage points.
Ready to Create Your Journey?
Deciding where to go to college is a big step, and we're here to help you every step of the way. Connect with us to find out more about Richard Bland College.