Commencement exercises occur only once per year in May. The ceremony is comprised of the previous fall and current spring graduates and upcoming summer candidates.
Graduation applications are due by:
February 2: spring candidates
November 1: fall candidates
Graduation Application (doc)
Summary of Pre-Commencement Events
Mandatory Meeting for the 2018 Graduating Class
Tuesday, April 10, 2018 (12:30 – 1:20p.m.) SSHE – Auditorium, 1st floor. Light refreshments will be served. If you have any questions/conflicts, please contact Mrs. Obermuller at 804-862-6238 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Academic Dress/Cap/Gown/Hood Pickup
There is a $60.50 plus tax fee for the cap, gown, and hood. Please make arrangements with the Bookstore located in the Student Commons to pay for and pick up your regalia starting on Monday, April 16, 2018 between the hours of 9a.m. and 4p.m. (M-F). The last day to pick up your regalia will be May 11th as the bookstore will not be open on Commencement Day. If you have any questions regarding cap & gown, please contact the Bookstore at 804-863-4490. Graduates may keep caps and gowns.
Each participating graduate will receive 5 tickets for commencement. Participating graduates may start picking up their tickets at the bookstore starting on April 30, 2018 between the hours of 9a.m. and 4p.m. If you need more than the allotted amount, please send an e-mail to events@rbc. Please be sure to include your name, R#, a valid phone number, and the amount of additional tickets you are requesting. If you have any other questions regarding graduation tickets, please e-mail email@example.com.
Phi Theta Kappa Members
Students may pick up their Phi Theta Kappa stoles and tassels from Aimee Joyaux at the PTK meeting on April 19th at 2pm in SSHE Auditorium. Students must return stoles no later than Monday, May 14, 2018 to the Library circulation desk. Students not returning the stoles by Monday, May 14th will have a hold placed on their record which will prohibit processing of transcripts and degrees. You only have to return the PTK stoles; the tassels are yours to keep! If you have any questions regarding PTK, please contact Aimee Joyaux at firstname.lastname@example.org
Statesman Scholars active in the Honors program may pick up their tassels from the Library circulation desk April 1st – May 4th between 8am and 5pm.
To qualify for May graduation, students need a 2.00 GPA, have earned at least 60 credits, and ensuring that all major requirements have been satisfied. Summer candidates must complete all requirements by August, 2018 to qualify as a summer graduate and may not have more than 12 credits to complete in the summer.
We will have a commencement rehearsal on Thursday, May 10, 2018 from 4 – 5p.m. in the Statesman Gym.
Commencement Day – Saturday, May 11, 2019
Will be taken in the gymnasium at exactly 2:15pm.
Purchasing Class Photos
4 x 6 = $13.00
5 x 7 = $15.00
8 x 10 = $25.00
11 x 14 = $35.00
Commencement photo gallery can be viewed here.
Lineup for Commencement begins promptly at 2:45p.m. in the two Girl’s locker rooms in Statesman Hall. Signs will be posted so that you know in which locker room you will line up. Please make every attempt to be prompt as students arriving after 3:00p.m. may not be allowed to participate.
Fall 2017 and spring 2018 graduates may pick up their diplomas at the Records & Registration Office in the Student Success Center beginning at 9:00a.m on Monday, May 21, 2018. August or summer graduates will have their diplomas mailed to them after all RBC summer classes are over in August.
Please clear any graduation conflicts through the Records & Registration Office no later than Friday, May 4, 2018 by calling 804-862-6238.
Financial Aid Director Message
The U.S. Department of Education requires that all recipients of Federal Stafford Loans (subsidized and unsubsidized loans) complete a mandatory Exit Counseling Session. To complete Exit Counseling, students must follow the steps below.
Step 1: Log on to https://www.studentloans.gov
Step 2: Select “Log In” (Use your FSA ID Username and FSA ID Password). If you don’t know your Username or Password, select forgot Username or Password.
Step 3: Select “Complete Counseling”
Step 4: Select “Start Exit Counseling”
Step 5: Proceed until the Process is complete
Attend an in-person session on one of the following dates:
Monday, April 23, 2018 (11am-12 noon; or 12 noon-1:00 pm, or 1:00 pm-2:00 pm)
It is important that you are aware and understand the various repayment options available to you in managing your student loans.
Events Coordinator Message
As Commencement day gets closer, there are a few rules and guidelines we need you and your guests to understand:
- There will be no signs or balloons allowed inside of the gym during the ceremony. These can be retrieved for the graduates after the ceremony.
- The doors to the gym will close and remained closed after the last graduate proceeds through the doors. Please alert your guests that they need to arrive before the ceremony starts to be certain they will be allowed into the gym. Anyone not in the gym on time will be directed to the side doors of the gym to enter. The main doors will not be accessible during the ceremony. Everyone in the gym must be seated.
- Parking – graduate and guest parking will be in the commuter lot. Once that is filled, general parking will begin in the Maze parking lot. Handicap parking will be located in the Statesman Gym lot and Café lot.
- All initial tickets (5 given) should be picked no later than 4pm on May 7, 2018. After May 7, you forfeit your tickets and they will be given to other graduates who have requested additional tickets. Confirmed additional tickets will be available in the bookstore on May 8th for pick up. For graduates requesting additional tickets, you will receive an email stating you can pick up your tickets on May 8th. Extra ticket requests should be sent to email@example.com.
- The bookstore will have cap and gowns available for purchase through the close of business on Friday, May 11, 2018. You must pick them up before this date. They will not be open on May 12, so make arrangements to pick them up before the deadline.
Ready to Create Your Journey?
Deciding where to go to college is a big step, and we're here to help you every step of the way. Connect with us to find out more about Richard Bland College.