Provisional Admission Program
Richard Bland College (RBC) may provisionally admit freshman applicants who do not meet the requirements for standard admissions but demonstrate academic potential. In order to be considered, applicants must:
- Graduate high school with a 2.0 or better GPA with a Standard or Advanced Studies Diploma
- Show yearly improvement on high school transcripts or demonstrate special circumstances
- Submit at least one recommendation letter from a counselor, teacher, or mentor (non-family)
- Complete a 15-minute interview with an RBC Admissions Counselor
RBC may also consider eligibility for provisional admission based on other criteria, including:
- GPA improvement on high school transcripts as a result of changes in personal/living situation
- Strong academic performance in core classes as opposed to electives
- GPA relative to the performance/rating of the applicant’s high school
- Above average SAT or ACT scores
Requirements of Provisionally Admitted Students
Students provisionally admitted to Richard Bland College will be required to sign the Provisional Admissions Contract, stipulations of which include that in their first semester at RBC they must:
- Maintain a cumulative 2.0 or better GPA in all courses
- Earn a 2.0 GPA (“C” or better) in developmental courses
- Enroll in at least 12 but no more than 14 credit hours taught in a traditional classroom format (i.e. no online courses)
- Enroll in a designated English course paired with an Exceptional Student Experience (ESE) 101 course. The Accelerated Learning Program (ALP) will be required based on placement testing outcomes.
- Complete an individualized learning plan with their Learner Mentor
- Meet with their Learner Mentor at least once every other week to discuss progress
- Earn a minimum of 50 Engage RBC points each semester
- Attend mandatory programming for provisionally admitted students, including time logged in the Writing Center and Tutoring Center
Provisionally admitted students are required to attend on boarding activities and Provisional Admissions programing prior to the start of classes and to enroll only in introductory-level courses outside of the lab sciences in the first semester. In addition, provisionally admitted students are strongly encouraged to reside on campus so they can take advantage of specific programming and resources made available by the Office of Residence Life.
The Provisional Admissions Contract will be valid for the first year of study. Upon successful fulfillment of the conditions of the Provisional Admissions Contract in the first year of study as certified by the Director of Student Success and Director of Records and Registration, students will move to unconditional admission status and register for future courses.
A review of Provisional Admit students’ progress will be completed during the first semester. Students failing to meet the Provisional Admissions requirements will be contacted. Students not fulfilling the conditions of the Provisional Admissions Contract will no longer be enrolled in the College at the end of the first year and an administrative hold barring registration for future courses will be placed on their academic record.
For more information on the program:
Office of Admissions
2nd Floor, Enrollment Services Center
(804) 862-6100 x6249
Ready to Create Your Journey?
Deciding where to go to college is a big step, and we're here to help you every step of the way. Connect with us to find out more about Richard Bland College.