The purpose and function of the Richard Bland College Testing Center is to serve all student who require testing services for any of the following:
• Academic accommodation (see “Process for Obtaining an Academic Accommodation,” which can included extra time on tests, below)
• Make-up examination with permission from the instructor (absence due to emergency, medical leave, an approved college-sponsored extracurricular activity, etc.)
• Proctored exam for online students required to take exams on campus
• Computer proficiency testing
The RBC Testing Center only administers tests for current RBC students.
• Monday-Friday – 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m. (hours will vary during final exams)
• Saturday-Sunday, holidays, and winter break – closed
All exams should be completed by 5:00 p.m., including extended time and approved break.
On-Campus Testing and Computer Proficiency Assessment
Schedule a test due to assigned accommodations, making up an exam, or having an exam for an online course proctored
- After communicating with your instructor about using the RBC Testing Center to take the exam, click the link below to complete Step 1 – Student Testing Request
- Once the form mentioned above is complete, your instructor will receive an email and a request to complete the Step 2 – Faculty Testing Request form linked below. The faculty member will select the test time and deliver the exam digitally using the form, via campus mail, or in person.
- Come to the testing center at the time scheduled by your instructor.
Schedule a Computer Proficiency Assessment
Important information about the Computer Proficiency Assessment
- It must be taken in the RBC Testing Center
- The purchased code can be used up to three times
- It takes between 1 and 3 hours to complete and must be done in one sitting
• Your knowledge of general technology topics, Microsoft Office 2016 and Windows 8, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel will be tested.
• The exam consists of 132 questions in multiple choice, T/F, and fill-in-the-blank formats
Upon answering at least 70% of the questions correctly, students will have fulfilled RBC’s computer proficiency requirement; however, they do not receive credit hours for the course and it is not included in their GPA.
Steps to schedule a Computer Proficiency Assessment:
- Buy the required access code, which comes with an electronic textbook to use to prepare for the test. Cost is $25. Use the following link to make this purchase: https://www.cengage.com/shop/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&urlLangId=-1&productId=128996&urlRequestType=Base&langId=-1&catalogId=10057.
- Click the link to complete Step 1 – Student Testing Request and schedule your assessment.
- For “Instructor” select Computer Proficiency Exam
- Sign up for an 8:30 a.m., 9:00 a.m., 1:30 p.m., or 2:00 p.m. time slot since you are allotted to have a three hour time frame to complete
For students who need assistance taking an exam off campus, please complete the “Off Campus Proctoring Request Form” found below. A list of proctor locations is found below.
The instructor or department administrative assistant should provide the exam materials to the Testing Center no later than one (1) full business day prior to the exam. For example, if the exam is at 8:30 a.m. on Monday, the Testing Center should receive the exam materials no later than 8:30 a.m. on Friday morning. Instructors or administrative assistants may submit materials four ways:
- Upload the exam when completing the Step 2 – Faculty Testing Request
- Campus mail in a sealed, confidential envelope to the attention of the RBC Testing Center
- In person to the RBC Testing Center
- Fax to (804) 862-6235 (please call (804) 862-6235 to confirm receipt)
The Testing Center will store the exam materials in a secure location.
When the exam has ended, the Testing Center will return all exam materials, scrap paper, and formula sheets to the instructor via the method selected when completing the Step 2 – Faculty Testing Request link.
If students have questions about their exam
- The student is responsible for following all instructions on the exam and will assume any penalties that may result from misunderstandings and misinterpretations.
- The RBC Testing Center staff may not answer any questions about the content of the exam.
- The RBC Testing Center will request contact information for each instructor during the exam, and will attempt to contact the instructor should a question arise that is specific to the exam.
- The testing rooms are equipped with cameras, which are used to monitor students during exams.
- All students are bound by the Richard Bland College Honor Code; students found cheating will be reported to the instructor and the Student Conduct Coordinator.
- The Testing Center offers a reduced-distraction environment with space for multiple students in the same room.
- A private room is available for students with that specific type of approved testing accommodation.
- Since only testing materials are permitted in the test rooms, secured lockers are available in the RBC Testing Center for all personal items, electronics, etc.
- Students should arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the scheduled exam time so that they have time to check in and secure all personal items in a locker before the exam begins.
- Students should use the restroom prior to taking their test/exam.
- Students are expected to take all exams at the scheduled times.
- Students are required to present a picture ID prior to being issued their exam.
- If the student is more than 10 minutes late for an exam because of potential scheduling conflicts, the RBC Testing Center reserves the right to decline administering that exam for that student, and the student will need to contact the instructor.
- The student may use only the materials, breaks, and time specified on the Test Scheduling Form.
- All exam materials, scrap paper and formula sheets will be returned with the exam materials to the instructor.
- No personal items (including, but not limited to cell phones, smart watches, electronic devices, back packs, bags, food or drinks etc.) will be allowed in the testing room; A cell phone/key locker will be provided for students. The Testing Center is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Except for students with food-specific accommodations, students may only bring a clear bottle of water with the label removed.
- Students may not leave the Testing Center/ until the exam is complete.
- Students with scheduled breaks as an accommodation receive “stop the clock” breaks so that their exam time is not impacted by scheduled break.
- Students will not have access to personal items during breaks.
Changes to Exam Time
- If the student decides to take the exam in class, or if the student drops or withdraws from the class, it is the student’s responsibility to notify the Testing Center before the exam.
- If a student misses an exam, the Testing Center will notify the instructor. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the instructor to discuss the possibility of rescheduling.
- If an exam time changes for any reason (e.g. the instructor is unexpectedly out and does not issue the exam that day), the student or the instructor should request the change by emailing the Testing Center at email@example.com
- In case of inclement weather or other unanticipated event, all testing appointments will be rescheduled.
Process for Obtaining an Academic Accommodation
Students who require testing accommodations for a physical and/or cognitive disability can find more information for obtaining an approved accommodation using the following link:
Location: Library Room 204
Monday through Friday
Last Test starts at 3:30PMEmail Testing Center
Ready to Create Your Journey?
Deciding where to go to college is a big step, and we're here to help you every step of the way. Connect with us to find out more about Richard Bland College.