IN THIS SECTION:
- Tests and Exams Administered by the Testing Center
- Process for Obtaining an Academic Accomodation
- Process for Scheduling Exams in the Testing Center
- Scheduling Exam Dates/ Times in the Testing Center
- Changes to Exam Time
- Exam Materials
- Exam Day
- Check In
- Personal Items
- If students have questions about exam:
- Testing security
The purpose and function of the Richard Bland College Testing Center is to serve all student who require testing services whether it is any of the following:
- An Academic Accommodation
- A Make-Up Examination (absence or emergency, student-athlete absence due to athletics, etc.)
- An Exam proctored for online students required to take exams on campus
Students are welcome to arrange for testing services at the Testing Center.
Students who need assistance taking an exam off campus can find more information on this page
- Monday-Friday, 8:00 am -5:00 pm (Please note: Hours will vary during final exams.)
- All exams should be completed by 5:00 pm, including extended time and approved breaks.
- The RBCTC is closed on weekends and on days that the College is closed, including the following holidays: Martin Luther King Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving (Wednesday-Friday), Winter Break (between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day).
Tests and Exams Administered by the Testing Center
The process for taking tests or exams is the same. The Testing Center will administer exams only for Richard Bland College students:
- With verified disability and testing accommodations per Disability Services, which may include, but is not limited to: additional time, reduced-distraction environment, or use of a computer or software;
- Who miss exams while traveling on approved athletic or academic events sponsored by the College under supervision of administrators including, but not limited to: theatre/dance and musical performances, conference attendance, ROTC leadership exercise, athletic events or
- Who have returned from excused absence due to medical or other approved leave from class
Process for Obtaining an Academic Accomodation
- Accommodations are granted by the Office of Disability Services, not by the Testing Center.
- RBC students who have a disability and wish to seek accommodations must complete and submit an application for academic accommodations to Disability Services, with approved supporting documentation regarding that disability.
- A student who has been granted one or more accommodations will be provided with a Letter of Accommodation (LOA) that describes the accommodation they are to receive. The ADA Coordinator for students will review the LOA with the student.
- Documentation criteria, instructions, and required applications/forms to obtain accommodations can be found at https://www.rbc.edu/academics/student-support-team/disability-services/
Process for Scheduling Exams in the Testing Center
Students with accommodations or who have missed an exam due to approved college travel are required to take exams in the Testing Center, unless previously arranged by their instructor. If a student wishes to schedule an appointment to take an exam within the department, students are welcome to discuss that with their instructor prior to the test date.
In order to request an exam in the Testing Center, students should follow the overall process and procedure outlined below.
Scheduling Exam Dates/ Times in the Testing Center
- The student should complete the first section of the Testing Center Test Scheduling Form. Then the instructor completes their form to send to the Testing Center to be scheduled.
- Students with approved testing accommodations should also give the instructor 1 copy of the LOA; the signed receipt portion is for the Testing Center.
- The Testing Center needs to receive the request no later than three (3) business days before the exam (e.g. a Test Scheduling Form received by 2 p.m. on Friday allows for the student to take an exam at the Testing Center at 2 p.m. on the following Wednesday).
- The Testing Scheduling Form should be complete; otherwise, the form may not be accepted.
- The Testing Center will email conformation of the exam day, time, and location to the instructor and student.
- Students should take the exam at the time that the instructor designates on the form.
Changes to Exam Time
- If the student decides to take the exam in class, or if the student drops or withdraws from the class, it is the student’s responsibility to notify the Testing Center before the exam.
- If a student misses an exam, the Testing Center will notify the instructor. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the instructor to discuss the possibility of rescheduling.
- If an exam time changes for any reason (e.g. the instructor is unexpectedly out and does not issue the exam that day), the student or the instructor should request the change by emailing the Testing Center at firstname.lastname@example.org
- In case of inclement weather or other unanticipated event, all testing appointments will be rescheduled.
The instructor or department administrative assistant should provide the exam materials to the Testing Center no later than one (1) full business day prior to the exam. (e.g. if the exam is at 8:30 a.m. on Monday, the Testing Center should receive the exam materials no later than 8:30 a.m. on Friday morning). Instructors or administrative assistants may submit materials four ways:
- Email to email@example.com (using the testing form link) https://richardblandcollege.formstack.com/forms/testing_services_request
- Campus mail in a sealed, confidential envelope to the attention of the Testing Center in the Library
- In person
- Fax to (804) 862-6235 (please call our office at (804) 862-6235 to confirm receipt)
The Testing Center will store the exam materials in a secure location.
When the exam has ended, the Testing Center will return all exam materials, scrap paper, formula sheets and exam materials to the instructors via the method selected on the Test Scheduling Form.
- Students should arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the scheduled exam time so that they have time to check in and secure all personal items in a locker before the exam begins.
- Students should use the restroom prior to taking their test/exam.
- Students are expected to take all exams at the scheduled times.
- Students are required to present a picture ID prior to being issued their exam.
- If the student is more than 10 minutes late for an exam, because of potential scheduling conflicts, the Testing Center reserves the right to decline administering that exam for that student, and the student will need to contact the instructor.
- The student may use only the materials, breaks, and time specified on the Test Scheduling Form.
- All exam materials, scrap paper and formula sheets will be returned with the exam materials to the instructor.
- No personal items (including, but not limited to cell phones, smart watches, electronic devices, back packs, bags, food or drinks etc.) will be allowed in the testing room; A cell phone/key locker will be provided for students. The Testing Center is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Except for students with food-specific accommodations, students may only bring a clear bottle of water with the label removed.
- Students may not leave the Testing Center/ Testing Center restroom area until the exam is complete.
- Students will not have access to personal items during breaks.
- Students with scheduled breaks as an accommodation receive “stop the clock” breaks so that their exam time is not impacted by scheduled break.
If students have questions about exam:
- The student is responsible for following all instructions on the exam and will assume any penalties that may result from misunderstandings and misinterpretations.
- The Testing Center staff may not answer any questions about the content of the exam.
- The Testing Center will request contact information for each instructor during the exam, and the Testing Center will attempt to contact the instructor should a question arise that is specific to the exam.
- The testing rooms are equipped with cameras, which will be used to monitor students during exams.
- All students are bound by the Richard Bland College Honor Code; students found cheating will be reported to the instructor.
- The Testing Center offers a reduced- distraction environment with space for multiple students in the same room.
- A private room is available for students with that specific type of approved testing accommodation.
- Since only testing materials are permitted in the test rooms, a secured room is available in the Testing Center for all personal items, electronics, etc.
Location: Library Room 204
Monday through Friday
Last Test starts at 3:30PMEmail Testing Center
Ready to Create Your Journey?
Deciding where to go to college is a big step, and we're here to help you every step of the way. Connect with us to find out more about Richard Bland College.