Are you struggling in your classes?
Do you need someone to help you understand the materials? RBC offers free tutoring services for all full and part-time students.
Learning Support Center Locations
RBC Library: 1st Floor
SSHE 222: Writing Center
The mission of the Learning Support Center is to provide academic support to all students enrolled at Richard Bland College of William & Mary. The Learning Support Center strives to provide excellence in tutoring services by supplementing student learners with individual and group peer tutoring. Empowering students to cultivate the skills, strategies, and behaviors of independent and lifelong learners. The Learning Support Center contributes to the colleges focus on increased retention and graduation rates
All professors are required to have open office hours, where you can come and ask questions. The hours are usually listed on your syllabus. Drop by and talk with your professor about any difficult assignments or to plan ahead for an exam or quiz.
Math and Writing Center tutoring is done by qualified students. Both students and faculty provide tutoring in the areas of Biology and Chemistry.
You wouldn’t be the first student to fall behind in your courses. To move ahead, keep up, or catch up in courses, you can join a learning community. These study groups can be as small as two and as large as ten students. If you wish to form a learning community, you should:
- Ask 2-10 students who are taking the same courses to join you.
- Ask your professor for any extra information or materials that would be helpful in learning the coursework. Be sure you exchange email addresses with your professor, in case you have questions.
- Set a time and location for your learning community to meet. These meets can occur in a physical space, like the library, or through social media. For example, you can use Facebook as a discussion board!
Ask a Librarian
If you need help with your research, information on how to correctly cite sources for your paper, or if you’re struggling to find a topic for your paper, don’t hesitate to ask a librarian for help. You can call the library at (804) 862-6226, email at email@example.com, or fill out this.
Smarthinking 24/7 FREE online Tutoring
To access free, online Tutoring Services through Smarthinking, please follow these directions through your Canvas account!
- Through the RBC Website, log into Canvas by going to Info For > Canvas.
- Once you have logged into Canvas, through any of your Canvas course pages you may access the “Smarthinking Tutoring” link via the left hand side toolbar.
- You can then select: “Work with a Tutor or Career Coach,” “Submit my Writing or Career Documents,” “Submit a Question,” or “Review My Sessions and Submissions.”
- Feel free to browse the Smarthinking website and view the “How To” tutorials provided!
With online tutoring services from Smarthinking, students get on-demand, individual instruction and support from expert online tutors across a wide variety of subjects, from beginner to advanced, up to 24 hours a day.
Khan Academy provides free videos to help you understand what you’re already learning in class. They focus on math, science, and economics.
Travis Luck, Learner Mentor
(804) 862-6100 x 4048
Ready to Create Your Journey?
Deciding where to go to college is a big step, and we're here to help you every step of the way. Connect with us to find out more about Richard Bland College.